Friday, September 15, 2006

My New Life

Kevin George Gilbertson

After leaving Frontier only two weeks earlier, I found myself on a plane high above the prairies, bound for Regina and eventually home. Saskatchewan is breathtaking as we fly over it. The checkerboard of fields is visible in every direction. The beauty is only a distraction from the reason Steven and I have come home: Uncle Kevin has passed away.

A few days after my arrival in Vancouver, Dad called me with the sad news. It had happened earlier that day, in Moose Jaw where my uncle had lived in the Valley View Center for over forty years. The news hit me harder than my brothers and cousins because I was the one who had been blessed by knowing him.

During my first year at Briercerst, I spent every Thursday night visiting Valley View Center with a ministry team. I'd take Kevin for walks in his wheelchair. He'd drive me crazy by continually pulling off his socks or feigning sleep. Both tricks ended with him erupting in laughter and a smile stretching across his face. It was during those visits that he became more than my disabled uncle. He became family.

The funeral was precious. Family and friends surrounded us to celebrate his grace filled life. It was an honor to be there. But the real blessing had been knowing him. I look forward to seeing him again . . .

http://fpbfssl.sasktelwebhosting.com/Obituaries/2006/GILBERTSON%20KEVIN/kevingilbertsonfull.htm if you want to read about him some more . . .

I Live in Vancouver

I cannot sum up the last weeks of my life. I love Vancouver. So many quirky things happen to me here. I have been blessed so tremendously. Sometimes I am overwhelmed . . . I'll share some adventures later . . .

3 comments:

Asylum said...

Jen, I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. It sounds liek he not only was a blessing for you, but you for him as well.

Laura said...

Hey Jen. Thinking about you - sorry to hear the sad news. Love Laura

Anonymous said...

I know what it is like to have a disabled Uncle. (Mine lived with my family for 12 years but now lives in a group home) I can understand how you feel. I am so glad you got the opportunity to know him. ((HUG))
Alicia<><