Monday, October 29, 2007

Nee Hao!

Old Friends in New Places

It has already been over four years since Arleen and I decided to move to the other side of the world. I will never forget how nauseous I felt on the plane ride over the Pacific when the enormity of my decision finally dawned on me. As the next few weeks unfolded in chaotic unfamiliarity, I consoled myself with the fact that my time in Taiwan was only temporary. It was a mere interruption - soon I would be back in Canada living my "real life".

Today, I was emptying the dishwasher, reaching for an upside down mug. I smiled at the letters MADE IN TAIWAN emblazened on its bottom. Here I am in Canada, living my "real life" and I am confronted with the reality of Taiwan. When I see MADE IN TAIWAN, I no longer envision an abstract place full of factories. I remember a smoggy wonderful place full of factories, monkeys, scooters, green tea, night markets, and people I love. My time in Taiwan was only temporary, but indeed it was real life.

When I flew out of Kaohsiung's airport that final time in 2005, I thought I was leaving Taiwan behind. Once again, I was wrong about that island nation.

My life in Vancouver is surprisingly full of Taiwan, especially in the last few months. David and Jamie's beautiful faces still appear at Regent on occasion. Nickie's studying at UBC, but we don't get together often enough. Dana just finished at UBC, and Sherri just started. James and Liezl, then Mike and Kathy paused in Vancouver before beginning new lives in Canada. My cell phone rings and it's beautiful Leanne who still remembers me after years of my absence. Julie is only a call away.

I never expected Taiwan to affect me so much, and I never expected the blessing of being able to continue friendships with the people I shared life with in Kaohsiung. Each of you are a blessing . . . You make Taiwan seem closer than Frontier sometimes.

Praise God!

The garbage strike is over!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm glad you still feel connected to Taiwan. It's great to have others who can relate to your experience. I'm glad you see them.

Kat said...

Rock on, sistah! We echo your thoughts.

Maybe we'll make it out to Van sometime soon.

Angel Lin said...

I'm gald that Taiwan has left you an life-long unforgetable impression and experience. Cheers!

Nickie said...

I completely agree!! I never imagined that Taiwan would have such an impact on my life, yet here I am, several years later, and somehow Taiwan always makes it into my thoughts sometime during the day.

PS - ditto on not seeing each other enough. Can't wait for next weekend!