Thursday, December 07, 2006

Canadian Winters

I like hot weather. It's a theme that anyone who has read this blog would be well aware of.

Now, I do like snow. I just don't like the fact that snow is cold. My internal thermometer still hasn't reprogrammed itself from my time in Taiwan.

The weekend before last, it snowed. And it was beautiful. Big fluffy snowflakes drifted down from the sky, twinkling like stars in the orange glow of the streetlights. It was peaceful . . .


But so unlike BC. I've been told it never snows here. I left my trusty purple and green sorrels at home in Saskatchewan. As I trudged through snow-laden sidewalks on my way to the bus, I missed those loud boots. The snowbanks kept getting bigger because no one in Vancouver knows how to deal with snow. No one has a snow shovel. No one knows how to drive. (I saw a car - I think an old style Citation - motor down Broadway with chains on the back tires. Slight overkill, I would say. ) When we woke up to a winter wonderland, everyone seemed to be wondering.

I am from Saskatchewan. A few inches of snow is nothing to worry about. I put on some layers and took a bus to Regent. When I arrived, the parking lot was suspiciously empty. The building was suspiciously dark. A sign hung haphazardly on the door. Regent College is closed. It didn't even occur to me that snow would stop school. I am a farmer's child. I go to school even when it is blizzarding outside. I stood a while looking at the sign, somewhat dumbfounded. Then I made my way back to the bus. I ran into a friend, an Ontarian who also laughs in the face of snow. Together, we fled the campus and joked about British Columbians and their incapacity to deal with snow.

I guess the snow should remind me: I do live in Canada.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Beautiful pictures! It was a bit funny to hear how BC pretty much shut down due to snow. Prairie kids see snow a bit differently, eh?

Laura said...

Those are stunning photos - did you take them yourself? I'm yet to experience real snow. Each year some snow falls in some high lying regions in the Cape and everyone flocks to the area to see it - but I think you'd laugh if you saw the tiny carpet of snow which is probably only 20cm deep. :)

Nickie said...

It's true - BC does shut down with snow! We just have no idea how to deal with it! But let me tell you - Whatcom County is even worse. Schools were closed for the entire week down here! They REALLY don't know how to deal with it.

Sarah Gingrich said...

Hee hee; I faced the same thing in Pennsylvania when I moved there from Montana; they close schools and churches for a bit of fluff. But hey, I suppose we fear what we don't know. Like in Costa Rica the normal shakes quakes and tremors we experienced left us white-knuckled and bug-eyed, while the locals just pensively looked up (not sure why "up", almost like they're waiting for the tremor to say "I'm all done now, not to worry"). Here's to native toughness; we each have our niche.

Anonymous said...

I agree, it is funny how we all freak out when a bit of snow falls, but this year wasn't a bit ... we got a huge dump!!! We are so highly unprepared for snow in this city causing it to shut down completely, but I like it, it's peaceful!!!

Angel Lin said...

Beautiful pictures! I enjoy the snow more than last year, especialy on the way walk down to the bus station, it just a wonderful white seen in the daily life.