Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A Few Comments

Rant

One of my profs told me in his beautiful Scottish voice that if a student suffers through a rainy Vancouver winter, she ought to stay and enjoy the beautiful summer.

I've been told June is a beautiful month in Vancouver.

But June 2007 has been a month of rain and unseasonable cold. I did not move to Vancouver for this.

Accomplishment

On Saturday, I finished work at 1:30 in the morning. I was up at 6 and running at 7 in the Scotiabank Half Marathon with my good friend Sarah and her mom. A half marathon is a mere 21 kilometers.

Things started out well. Then came the thunder. Then came a few drops of rain. Then came the torrential downpour that reminded me of one afternoon in Bangkok when the streets flooded to my knees in a matter of minutes. Wet. My mood worsened everytime my foot descended into a puddle. I kept having to wring out my shirt as I ran.

2 hours and 25 minutes and some seconds later, we arrived at the finish line by Stanley Park. Our names were announced as we came into the homestretch. A final small burst of energy and I was done. Finished. Handed an Inukshuk medal - perhaps my only sports medal, unless I got one from curling back in the 90s. Instantly cold and instantly stiff, we limped to the car like old grannies. May I never get arthritis.

Sarah's mom beat us by about 8 minutes. Nice.

We had brunch. Then I went to work where I wear those old lady pants, and that night, I had the walk to match.

Elegy

One of my favorite blogs has not been updated since February 19, 2007. I have lost track of how many times I have checked to see if it's been updated - has anything happened since the new hairs? Alas, I wonder if it has lost momentum or lost its life ever since the mania called Facebook took over the Western world.

My own blog is in semi-hibernation during this phase of my life where I am rooted instead of nomadic, where my life has pattern instead of adventure. I'm already planning to take my backpack and GO once I am finished this degree. About two more years to go . . . But in the meantime, I suspect this blog will feature monthly or bimonthly posts.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Congrats on the marathon! I'm also wondering about the mentioned blog. Not that I'm doing a great job at updating mine but it's a great way to keep updated. Facebook is also great and addicting but it's just not the same.