Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy Canada Day!

I am somewhat of a Facebook deliquent. So look at me . . . two blog posts in one week . . .

Sunday morning, I was at work at the golf course's annual free pancake breakfast. I stood in the bright sunlight in my ever lovely faux tux outfit with sunglasses and a special edition club Canada hat. Basically all I did was throw people's plates in the garbage. The creation care aspect of my heart screamed a little at every deposit.

A group of kind old ladies had gathered to enjoy the mornings festivities. One sweet lady I recognized from a previous evening. She walks with a walker, and has quite thick glasses. They were seated in another server's section, a darker skinned male waiter.

As I walked past her, she stood up a little and said, "Excuse me, sir. Sir! Sir!" There was a guy at her table so I was a little surprised when I realized she was talking to me.

"Um, Ma'am, I am actually a lady, but how can I help you?"

"Oh, sorry, but with the hat, I thought you were a man. Your uniforms are so slimming, you know."

Hmm, the uniform makes me appear a little bloated. I took the comment with a large grain of salt since it came from an obviously vision impaired lady. One of the life goals I have set for myself is to not be one of those people whose gender is obscured into androgyny. I don't want to be the person where people have to guess Man? or Woman?

Well, I guess on Sunday, I failed at one of my life goals :)

1 comment:

The World of Haab said...

LOl.....I really am laughing to myself right now!!! hhahaha....poor Jen...I feel for you.
But you definitely son't resemble a man.